Some people think success is:
- hard work
But I have good news for you:
Success leaves more hints than that.
If we look carefully, we can see specific things successful people do daily.
That’s why I’ve boiled down How To Be Successful In Life, In 7 Simple Tips.
Let’s get started!
1. Be healthy (your success foundation)
The first thing you need to be successful in life is health.
You need mental health and physical health.
Without both, you have no chance to be at the top of your field.
They are the foundation of the skyscraper you want to build.
how can you improve your mental health and physical health?
- Exercise at least 20 minutes, 3 times per week
- Lift weights at least 1-2 times each week
- Go outside daily (early in the morning is ideal)
- Sleep at least 7 hours each night
- Eat mostly fruits and vegetables (50% of your plate)
- Eat quality proteins and fats
- Meditate daily
- Connect with people you love
- Simplify your life: Ignore things that drain your time and energy
Also, avoid things that don’t serve you:
- Too much screen time
- Too much social media
- Too much sugar, alcohol
- Too many processed foods
If you apply these tips, you’ll have a solid base from which you can stand.
He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything. Arabian proverb
Health, love, and your mission, in that order. Nothing else matters. Naval Ravikant
The higher your energy level, the more efficient your body. The more efficient your body, the better you feel and the more you will use your talent to produce outstanding results. Tony Robbins
2. Know yourself (and what you want)
Knowing yourself is vital.
How can you become successful if you don’t know who you are, what you stand for, and what you want?
Of course, knowing yourself is a lifelong process.
And it’s hard to define your desires with complete certainty.
But the more you experience, fail, reflect, learn and grow, the more solid you become.
You tackle greater challenges and develop the confidence to reach success.
knowing yourself helps you build your house on rock, not sand.
Existence wants you to be you. Osho
You must not be afraid of your uniqueness and you must care less and less what people think of you. Robert Greene
We are the ones we have been waiting for. Alice Walker
Related: Know Yourself? 6 Specific Ways to Know Who You Are (psychologytoday.com)
3. Be focused (choose one thing)
Step 1: You’re healthy.
Step 2: You know yourself and what you want.
Step 3: It’s time to focus on one thing.
Yes! You read that right.
To be successful in something, you need to put all your energy and time into one goal.
The more you focus, the faster your progress. (Bill Gates and Warren Buffett love to focus too!)
What are the strategies to focus on?
- You need to dedicate at least 2-3 hours of training each day. (Or even more, if you’re like Kobe Bryant)
- You need to ask yourself “What’s the most impactful task I should be doing right now?”
- You need to sacrifice other aspects of your life (Friday nights with friends for example)
- You need to ignore distractions and say no, a lot.
- You need to take massive action, daily.
- You need to learn about deep work.
Finally, the more specific your goal, the higher your chances of reaching it.
For example, “Being fit” is vague.
“Working out each weekday at the gym, from 6 am to 7 am and 8 pm to 9 pm” is clear.
The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus. Bruce Lee
You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks. Winston Churchill
Take up one idea, make that one idea your life. Think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success. Swami Vivekananda
4. Be calm (to perform better)
A champion doesn’t control:
- The outcomes
- What other people say
But he controls:
- His efforts
- His attitude
A champion decides how he handles himself when things get tough.
He decides to stay calm because he knows he’ll perform better this way.
He decides to focus on his ultimate goal: to progress and be the best.
He remembers obstacles are inevitable and if a path is easy, it leads nowhere.
WAYS TO BECOME CALMER
- Breathe properly
- Take the long-term view
- Meditate 20 minutes daily
- Keep repeating the mantra “just keep going” in your head
- Don’t take it all seriously (learn to be indifferent to discomfort)
Success is not only the peaks you reach — it’s the valleys you conquer. Adam Grant
One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself. Leonardo da Vinci
A happy, calm, and peaceful person will make better decisions. So if you want to operate at peak performance, you have to learn how to tame your mind. Naval Ravikant
Related: 7 Ways Successful People Stay Calm At Work (stress.org)
5. Be connected and well surrounded (you can’t do it alone)
No successful people can do it alone.
They need help, support, and guidance.
That’s why you must surround yourself with the right people.
WHO ARE THE RIGHT PEOPLE?
- People who believe in you
- People who encourage you
- People who understand you
- People who are “better” than you
WHO ARE THE PEOPLE TO AVOID?
- People who are toxic
- People who complain
- People who drain you
- People who are the “victim”
- People who manipulate you
Indeed, success is easier if you’re surrounded by people who raise your standards.
They help when you can’t find your way out.
Moreover, Harvard researchers found close connections lead to happiness.
And we all know happy people tend to be more successful than others.
You’re the average of the five people you spend the most time with. Jim Rohn
Eliminate time spent with people who would rather drone on about their misery than hear about your successes. Taylor Burrowes
Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future. Dan Pena
6. Be relentless, be disciplined (consistency > intensity)
The most successful people are the ones who:
- love hard work
- love progressing each day
Being at the top of your field will take massive work.
Besides, success requires the humility to always keep learning.
There must be no end to your growth.
You need to forget about “limits” and believe being the best is possible.
You need to have a long-term vision.
You need to get used to discomfort, daily.
But here’s the kicker:
The difference between the first and the second is NOT their goal.
They have the same goal of “being the best.”
The difference is what they do daily, their habits, their consistency, and their willingness to work even when they are not at their best.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
The successful among us delay gratification. The successful among us bargain with the future. Jordan Peterson
Discipline is choosing between what you want now, and what you want most. Abraham Lincoln
Keep in mind:
if you truly want something, you’ll find a way to make it happen.
Otherwise, you’ll find a reason it won’t work.
7. Be a role model, be kind (be a good human being)
Ultimately, a successful person is NOT one with lots of material stuff.
It’s not the millionaire.
It’s not the one who breaks records.
A successful person is one who inspires others because of who he is.
He’s kind, generous, and loving.
He makes the world better for others.
it’s useless to be “successful” if nobody’s around you.
Success is not in what you have, but who you are. Bo Bennett
You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity. Thomas Wolfe
What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? Jean-Jacques Rousseau
So, how to be successful in life?
Choose one thing and keep going until you become the best.
Then, keep going even more.
But remember: success is a marathon, not a sprint.
- You’ll need to take care of yourself
- You’ll need to be well surrounded
- You’ll need to be stubborn
Extreme people get extreme results. Sam Altman
And the bottom line is this:
It’s not what you do for yourself that will make you “successful”. It’s what you do for others.
Successful people are the ones who give back.
The ones who are role models.
Who you become as a human being determines if you’re “successful”, or not.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. Albert Einstein
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’ Martin Luther King Jr
The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life. Rabindranath Tagore
- Topic: Motivation
- 100 Motivational Quotes That Will Make You Thrive
- 100 Hard Work Quotes To Bring Out The Best In Yourself
- 100 Courage Quotes That Will Make You Feel Bold
- 100 Confidence Quotes For More Self-Confidence
- 79 Strength Quotes That Will Make You Strong
- 100 Adversity Quotes To Improve Your Willpower
- 100 Risk Quotes To Reassure (and Empower You)
Now it’s your turn!
What’s your definition of success? Any tips on how to be successful in life? Please let us know in the comment section below!